[yocto-ab] Minutes: YP AB 20 March 2013

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Mar 21 12:15:59 PDT 2013

Attending:

Sanil
Richard
Dave
Chris H
Lieu
Khem
Steve
Mike W

Agenda

Vote on CircuitCo as YP Participant
yes
Vote on Arago as YP Compatible
yes
Vote on meta-ti as YP Compatible
yes
Vote on ISS as YP Compatible
yes after some discussion
form needs to be revised in advocacy grp

=> j & advo to redo wording
intent was to have yes answers on form
  no answers were to be exceptional

_______________________________
Check-in with Mike Woster

YP becoming inevitable platform for embedded linux (build tools)
also from license compliance perspective
  excellent tools for license compliance
what work to market project in general
  vs specifically joining ab
for mktg, love to see more collateral
  for vertical markets
  medical device, aerospace defense
  real time, other features
  trainers, white papers in process
if anyone open to help write white paper for vertical market
  looking for technical writer
from a sales perspective, big issue is sharing common costs
new effort on horizon built with YP,
  all vendor ecosystems aligned to produce YP compat bsps for socs

vertical markets interested in embedded Linux:
aerospace
medical device
industrial control
  typically headless

_______________________________
membership

from Sanil:
discuss the unique value of AB Membership

mikew:
underwrite shared infrasturcuture
or broad market approach where asset like trademark
former works better than latter, limits members to tier 1 oems & soc manuf
important to have ability for folks to fund that infrastructure
oems can span market segments
at same time, give those who want access & features a lower fee
new industry aligned on yp big boon for soc industry, osvs, consultants

sanil
more AB members required to make project sustainable
create more value for members
member orgs use various aspects of project critical to their work
AB members have influence in roadmap
online training
encourage other AB orgs to join group ventures, e.g.
  involvement in validation & test-harness during development
architecture / technical team / planning team
  RP: the real project is not quite that formal
  but the impetus to encourage AB orgs to participate is good
mentorship for new orgs
  open source in general
  community-based development
  e.g. tab community
marketing points also

RP there is a lot of confusion about open source process

mikew:
brainstorm what are common questions people have
  build up workflow q&a
  mentor program - how to maximize the R&D impact of Yocto Project
what are the possibilites that we are aligned with development
how can yocto be utilized in our use cases
is there any influence I can make
how critical is this project for my product
  learning to scale across a platform strategy
  even in e.g. RT discussion, can I use?
consultation made to new or prospective members

company starts with Yocto Project - important to development
  Yocto Project has a roadmap
  the more closely aligned the better
  therefore, important to join the AB

mentoring program from org to org

also - able to demo stuff in booth at conferences

_______________________________
Events:
  Collaboration Summit
could have targeted confs, extended AB
pre-work to make sure people are invited

  Design West
  LinuxCon Japan

YP at LCJ
LCJ is there for people to use - demos in booth
possible added speaking opportunity

booth property is there to be used

looking for native speakers to speak at local events in eg 10 countries

_______________________________
Job board

people want
tricky if not used
reexamine for staleness at each AB org
talk to those concerned about poaching
benefits outweigh negatives
=> jefro to implement
Standard reports:
  finance
see page on wiki

  advocacy
next AB meeting: proposal for native speakers
next AB meeting: proposal for white papers
  discuss re LF as well
  group projects