[yocto-ab] Yocto Project: Gold/Silver definition

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Wed Aug 14 14:17:01 PDT 2013

I have been following up on several of these items with interested
people from the AB - thank you for your participation! Having clear
guidelines in place will greatly help LF recruit new members for us.

As a followup to this discussion, I would like to clarify one
particular point: layer hosting and the YP autobuilder. Since this
issue is only clarifying what we have been doing for the past two and
a half years, it doesn't require an AB vote, though I am interested in
any feedback you might have.

The goals have been

- to differentiate Gold vs Silver membership benefits clearly

- to make this an identification & clarification of existing practices
rather than creating a new policy - in other words to follow what we
already do

- to make life easier, not worse, for the build team and the
maintainers in terms of both work and mentorship time

I think this description solves all three items:

(1) All members (Gold & Silver) may add feature layers to the yp.org
repo, as long as the layers meet with the approval of the maintainers
(Richard's organization).[1] Every layer must have a maintainer
sourced by the parent organization.

(2) Silver members receive mentoring and coaching on setting up their
own autobuilder to test their layers.

(3) Gold members gain the ability to enroll feature layers in the
Yocto Project autobuilder and automated QA framework. A dedicated
resource from the member organization is required.

Note that these features are for *automated* testing only. As far as
the build team is concerned, QA by hand is only done for core
components, not feature layers or architectures outside the immediate
core. In other words, new or old members should not expect the team to
take care of QA for their core products, as that is not within our
capacity, but we can provide automated QA for project components that
are of interest to everyone,

The role of the maintainer is important. If anything goes wrong with a
build, it is the maintainer's job - not the build team - to track it
down. Every layer has a maintainer.

This text clarifies our current setup and gives us the ability to grow
without overstretching our limited build and test resources, at least
for the time being. Again, I would be grateful for any feedback.

I'll address the other items between now and the next AB meeting,
which I am scheduling for August 28.

thanks