[yocto-ab] 20110818 Minutes: Yocto Advisory Board (face to face)

Ta, Lieu Lieu.Ta at windriver.com
Mon Aug 29 16:52:46 PDT 2011

Hello All,

I apologize for the delay in getting these notes out.  Special thanks to Dave for scribing most of the notes and to all those who contributed.  Please note that Linux Foundation will send out invoices as of September 1st for the Budget decision we made at the AB meeting in Vancouver.  Enclosed is the Just-In-Time spreadsheet that we worked on during the meeting.

Regards,

Lieu T. Ta,
Director, Linux Business Operations
Wind River Systems
+1.510.749.2460

=======================

Attendees: in person Beth Flanagan, Jeff Osier-Mixon, Sean Hudson, Bill Mills, Philip Balister, Tracey Erway, Nithya Ruff, Dan Cauchy, Dave Rusling (Linaro CTO), Saul Wold, Grant Likely

On Phone: Mark Orvek  (MV), Steve Sakomen, Lieu Ta, Wind River

*         Introductions

*         Linaro discussion - with Dave Rusling here for the first part of the meeting, we discussed ways we could collaborate. LAVA con quickly take a set of images which can be pushed to hardware and tests can run. Toolchain has a separate test setup, and they are using OE now to build compiler pieces. Linaro could support Yocto, technically doable just up to what the members want to do.  AR Linaro and Yocto teams should touch base:  someone from YP should contact David Rustling

*         Infrastructure team update - major update planned for September 2011 to get our nightly builds under 12 hours. Will shift to heavy memory size and tmpfs for builds, create a build pool and separate download activity from build activity. Going forward, the shift to tmpfs should  keep us from chewing through disks. Grateful to Beth and the team for their work in this area.  How does one independently sponsor builder?  There should be some discussion around this and further board farm ideas.

*         Finance discussion - Paul Anderson formed a finance team and Lieu Ta presented out the pro forma budget proposal as a report out. Intel, TI, WR, Mentor, MA, Dell. The 2012 cost includes $37.5K per quarter for "Resources and Internet" which is primarily for the system admin, but this person is split between projects so this cost might actually be cut in half. Linux Foundation is covering Richard's pay, so we are benefitting greatly from this. One other thing which is missing is a board farm for testing hardware... the biggest expense for this will be the engineering effort involved, not the space or racks or hardware. Decided: we will create a working group to focus on board lab development; Decided: after other adjustments we agreed for each of the 6 participating organizations with money to contribute $6K each(about 50% is advocacy), as approved by budgeting. We might get additional sponsorships beyond AB. We will defer finalizing the 2012 budget in the next AB F2F (Prague). AR: Jeff to reach out to MontaVista and Timesys about the money. AR: for Finance team to figure out alternative funding sources like line item sponsorship. (An example was Dell putting their logo on a T-Shirt).  Dues are still to be decided for participation - if the scope of the project is to do direct engineering work, then we need to cough up more money to cover this.

Update:
 All money will be collected by Linux Foundation.  LF will invoice the respective companies (TI, Intel, WR, MG, MV, and Timesys) for the $6K on September 1, 2011.  AR: Finance team to work on process for reimbursement from LF.

*         Advocacy - Intel has a sponsorship for LinuxCon Brazil and we will get on the coat-tails for this. For Prague we want the $5K sponsorship so we can have a demo table. TI will likely be sponsoring a table as well to show stuff. AR: Jeff to ask ELC-E why the panel discussion proposed has been nixed. The Yocto video is being shown in the Intel and Wind River booths at LinuxCon NA. There is a hands-on lab and poster chat at the Intel Developer Forum. We are signed up at Embedded Systems Conference in Boston.

Advocacy Update:
Linuxcon 2011
- Great Yocto coverage in the Engineer's Guide to Embedded Linux and Android magazine Titled "Yocto Project Big in Embedded Linux'
- Both Intel and Wind River provided Yocto stickers, information and played the Yocto video at their booths
- Jeff Oxier-Mixon lead the Yocto B o F session which was well attended and answered questions from attendees interested in Yocto Project - 15 Attendees

Hands On Embedded Linux with the Yocto Project (Jeff Osier-Mixon): 38 attendees

Software Development Lifecycle Patterns using the Yocto Project (Elizabeth Flanagan): 43 attendees

Upcoming events
- Intel Developer Forum Sept 13-15 - poster chats and a hands-on-lab
- LinuxCon Brazil - no need for funding, will ride Intel sponsorship coat-tails
- LinuxCon Prague - need $5k funding to have a Yocto Project Demo and information table, TI may also have a demo table and do a Yocto Project demo

AR
- Call advocacy meeting to coordinate Yocto Project PR, Presence and Demos at LinuxCon Prague