[poky] When SRCREV is set to AUTOREV, what triggers (re-)fetching?

Evade Flow evadeflow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:46:24 PDT 2016

> BTW, the usage of AUTOREV should be updated in BB user manual section 4.4.

Indeed, I did notice this was missing:

  -
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html#auto-revisions

What would have helped me immensely is if this paragraph on AUTOREV in the
Yocto manual:

  -
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-AUTOREV

contained an extra sentence or two, something like:

Also, be aware that setting [BB_SRCREV_POLICY][1] = "cache" will prevent
> Bitbake from checking whether any upstream repository references have
> changed–even for recipes that have SRCREV = ${AUTOREV}—so you probably
> want to ensure that this variable is set to its default value of "clear"
> when using AUTOREV.

 [1]:
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.1/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html#var-BB_SRCREV_POLICY

A similar admonition in the BB_SRCREV_POLICY description would help, e.g.:

Be aware that setting BB_SRCREV_POLICY = "cache" is generally incompatible
> with the use of [AUTOREV][2], since it will prevent Bitbake from checking
> whether any upstream repository references have changed.

 [2]:

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Jianxun Zhang <jianxun.zhang at linux.intel.com