[poky] how to detect unstable builds

Andreas Schultz aschultz at tpip.net
Wed Jul 30 07:10:28 PDT 2014

Hi,

Unstable might be not the right term, but I couldn't think of another.

The issue is that two builds on exactly the same build host, produce
packages that have different runtime dependencies and also different
behaviors.

I encountered this problem with readline, but other package might have
it as well.

I try to build an image that contains systemd and (an modified) bind. The
declared dependencies of systemd contain readline, those of my version of
bind do not. With multiple parallel task, build order is not guaranteed
and bind might be build before or after readline.

bind's autoconf does check for readline and will link bind to it if
it finds it.

The outcome is that some builds contain a bind linked against readline,
while other contain a bind that is not linked against readline.

** QA hell breaks loose **

Is there a way to detect and/or prevent situations like this?

Regards
Andreas
Dipl. Inform.
Andreas Schultz