[poky] Impressions of using Poky to create a BSP

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Sat May 28 21:08:09 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Robert Berger
<gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/27/2011 10:48 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding a kernel:
>>>      - So by default the linuxdummy is used, but I wanted to build my kernel,
>>>        I started off by copying the yocto kernel recipes. This creates a very funny
>>>        bug. My kernel didn't have the meta branch, the task to test the branches
>>>        executes git log for the branch and this is failing.
>>>        The symptoms are not obvious at all. An empty log file is left behind.
>>

>> This is probably best dealt with a kernel recipe writing manual. We have
>> a few things like this forming, but nothing tangible yet.
>>

> I'm currently building a manufacturer supplied 3rd party kernel and
> u-boot outside of yocto/poky to avoid all this trouble.

There really shouldn't be any trouble now, in particular out of master.
In the past three weeks, I've helped a few people work through just
this sort of scenario.

> It's the classic case of a non mainline 3rd party kernel + patch + config
>
> If it's easy enough to create a BSP this would be my preferred solution
> and it would probably also be a good use case for such a manual.
>
> If you have some documentation (even preliminary) I'm willing to work
> with the people involved to come up with something more substantial. (me
> being the one testing how well the instructions work for my 3rd party
> kernel)

The released docs with yocto 1.0 still apply here. We need to start
there. If they are insufficient, or are missing information, then we'll
get it fixed.

> The goal would be to end up with something not much more difficult than
> building the stuff outside of yocto/poky;)

There's a few levels to this comment. The point is that if you use the
linux-yocto recipes, then hopefully someone want to use the tooling
and maintain some extra meta data with the kernel. master already
has changes to auto-create the minimum set of meta data for building
any git tree you throw at it.

But that's just the first step. That bootstrapped data can be used
as the starting point for maintaining and extending things.

Even better than having random kernel versions and potentially
unmaintained patches, is to try and sync up with a kernel version
that yocto (or others) are using as collecting points for embedded
features of interest. From there, we can leverage the work, re-use
it and ultimately get changes into the mainline kernel where they
belong.

So if you've got patches and changes that are of interest, I'd like
to see them from that point of view, just as much as making sure
that the yocto kernel recipes + BSP model work seamlessly.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
> ..."Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a
> mistake when you make it again." - F. P. Jones
>
> My public pgp key is available at:
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1

thee at its end"