[poky] Commit and Patch message guidelines - fifth draft

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu May 12 16:49:49 PDT 2011

On 05/12/2011 03:05 PM, William Mills wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 05:11 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>> One more thing. There is a great deal of cross-posting to the various
>> lists. We should discourage this. At least mentioning somewhere in here
>> that patches should be sent to the appropriate list with maintainers and
>> involved developers on CC and not cross posted would be a help.
>
> Ok, so I am going to go ahead and ask the dumb question.  Where is the
> write up that say what list is for what?

Not a dumb question at all! Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are
confused about this, which is natural as much of this separation is
still new to people.

Which needs to be updated to better reflect the oe-core aspect I think.

And: http://openembedded.org/index.php/Mailing_lists

This accurately describes oe-core (and other oe specific lists).

> It seems to me there is a whole bunch of discussion happening on the
> poky list about making changes that that would effect everyone using
> openembedded-core.  Do we have two lists for discussion of stuff that
> effect the oe-core?

No. As I understand it, things that go into poky.git/meta and things
that go into oe-core should be sent to the openembedded-core list. Patch
series for poky.git should be isolated in such a way so that they do not
include changes to meta (oe-core) and other areas at the same time.

Does anyone have a different view?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center