[poky] Third party toolchain, kernel, bootloader

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Mon May 9 10:39:56 PDT 2011

Hi Darren,

> On 05/06/2011 08:09 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>

>> On 05/05/2011 11:28 PM, Robert Berger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on a couple of projects trying to use yocto and it boils
>>> down to the fact, that the packages and the package management (with a
>>> few tweaks) are very valuable.
>>>
>>> On the other hand "just to give it a try" it's a major effort to add
>>> kernel and bootloader to poky and moreover the gcc which comes with poky
>>> is not always what I need in terms of stability but also features (need
>>> e.g. Cortex-A8 support). So I would also need to cook gcc to compile a
>>> vendor provided kernel and bootloader.
>>

>> We build for Beagleboard xM, which is a Cortex-A8. Are you missing a
>> specific feature? Hitting a particular bug?

It looks like I'm hitting a compiler/configuration bug.

1) I build everything for the beagle.
2) I use this kernel (vendor supplied 2.6.32):
wget -O xuk-src.tar.bz2
http://www.technexion.com/index.php/support-center/downloads/arm-cpu-modules/tam-3517/389-xuk-src-tar/download
3) I use this kernel config:
wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/os-images/debian-6.0/arm/twister-kernel.config
4)
source tmp/environment-setup-armv7a-poky-linux-gnueabi
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-
make menuconfig
make -j2 uImage
*** End of Linux kernel configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.

scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-arm
make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
<stdin>:1523:2: warning: #warning syscall recvmmsg not implemented
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/sysfs_v7.o
/tmp/ccFfYvGD.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccFfYvGD.s:264: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`smc #0'
/tmp/ccFfYvGD.s:306: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`smc #0'
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/sysfs_v7.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

That's not very elegant, but I get it to compile like this:

/*
#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP34XX
*/
#define aux_ctl_store NULL
#define AUX_WR 0
/*
#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP34XX
*/
#define l2_aux_ctl_store NULL
#define L2AUX_WR 0

Regards,

Robert
...Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a
just man is also a prison. -- Henry David Thoreau

My public pgp key is available at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1