[poky] RFC: mkzipimage.sh script

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri May 6 12:06:58 PDT 2011

The process for creating the USBZIP format usb key images is tedious, so I threw
a script together. I suspect there might be demand for an integrated tool to do
this for the more onerous of the image making processes.

1) Any feedback on this particular script?
2) Should this go to scripts/contrib?
3) Would an image burning tool (ala unetbootin) be of interest to
   others?

#!/bin/bash

function usage {
	echo "Usage: $(basename $0) IMAGE DEVICE"
}

function check_device {
	if [ ! -b "$1" ] || [ ! -w "$1" ]; then
		echo "Error opening device '$1'."
		echo "Device should be a writable block device."
		exit 1
	fi
}

if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then
	usage
	exit 1
fi

IMAGE=$1
DEV=$2

if [ ! -f "$IMAGE" ]; then
	echo "Image '$IMAGE' does not exist."
	exit 1
fi

check_device $DEV

HS=$(fdisk -l $DEV | egrep ".*heads.*sectors.*cylinders")
HEADS=$(echo $HS | cut -d' ' -f1)
SECTORS=$(echo $HS | cut -d' ' -f3)

echo "Preparing $DEV, this may take several minutes."
mkdiskimage -4 $DEV 0 $HEADS $SECTORS
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "Error running mkdiskimage."
	exit 1
fi

echo -n "Remove and reinsert the device, then press Enter: "
read
echo -n "Enter the new device name [$DEV]: "
read NEWDEV
if [ -n "$NEWDEV" ]; then
	DEV=$NEWDEV
fi