[poky] gstreamer not playing nice with gconf?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue May 3 16:18:09 PDT 2011

I'm having troubles with GConf and gstreamer on my Poky/Yocto system.

On my desktop, gstreamer has installed some proper defaults:
   % gconftool-2 -R /system//gstreamer
   /system/gstreamer/0.10:
     /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio:
       /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/profiles:
         /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/profiles/aac:
           extension = m4a
           name = CD Quality, AAC
           active = true
     /system/gstreamer/0.10/default:
       musicaudiosink_description = Default
       videosink = autovideosink
       visualization = autoaudiosink
       audiosink = autoaudiosink
       musicaudiosink = autoaudiosink
       chataudiosink_description = Default
       audiosrc_description = Default
       audiosink_description = Default
       chataudiosink = autoaudiosink
       audiosrc = alsasrc
       videosrc = v4l2src

However, on my Poky/Yocto system, I don't get any of this:
   # gconftool-2 -R /system//gstreamer
   #
(in other words, it's not there)

I can see that /etc/gconf/schemas/gstreamer-0.10.schemas was installed,
but it doesn't seem to be processed.  Other schemas in that directory
are processed when the gconfd starts up.

Am I missing something in how this works?  I'm trying to run a GNome
application (cheese) which needs to get at the gstreamer videosink
default, but it's not available which causes it to fail.

Ideas?

Thanks