[poky] OE-Core - What this means for Yocto/Poky and what we need to do

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Feb 28 08:34:08 PST 2011

I've seen a few questions on this outside of the mailing list.  Let me try to
state it in a different way.

The existing "meta" layer within Yocto is being split into two layers.  An
"oe-core" layer and a "meta-yocto" layer.

This means you will need to determine where the software you are working on
lives -- if it's a new component, assume "meta-yocto".

The "oe-core" layer will be shared with the Open Embedded projected, and under
the control of the Open Embedded Technical Steering committee.  While the
"meta-yocto" continues to be owned by the Yocto project.  This is why it's two
different mailing lists will be required for patches.

(The goal of all of this work is to sync up with the Open Embedded community.
Including distributions that use Open Embedded as a basis for their work.)

--Mark