[poky] Is sstate broken

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Feb 24 07:14:40 PST 2011

I tried to run an experiment with SSTATE_MIRRORS on the latest master.
 From what I can tell, this is 100% not working, although I may just
not have set it up properly.  Here's what I did:

* Build Poky for my platform in /local/xyz_ppc_poky
* Set up to build exact same machine/config/etc in /local/xyz_test
   pointing SSTATE_MIRRORS at /local/xyz_ppc_poky/sstate-cache by
   adding these lines to local.conf (only configuration change)
     SSTATE_MIRRORS ?= "\
     file://.* file:///local/xyz_ppc_poky/sstate-cache/"

The end result is that both builds built (from scratch) the same
set of packages.  There seems to be no reuse of anything from
the SSTATE_MIRRORS.

$ du /local/xyz_ppc_poky/* -s
20      /local/xyz_ppc_poky/conf
1456    /local/xyz_ppc_poky/downloads
4       /local/xyz_ppc_poky/pseudodone
1010392 /local/xyz_ppc_poky/sstate-cache
14434076        /local/xyz_ppc_poky/tmp

$ du -s /local/xyz_test
20      /local/xyz_test/conf
1456    /local/xyz_test/downloads
4       /local/xyz_test/pseudodone
1010276 /local/xyz_test/sstate-cache
14425860       /local/xyz_test/ tmp

The full build log of the second run is at http://www.mlbassoc.com/poky/build_ppc_with_sstate
Notice the many lines which say that a particular step failed.  I can't see the reason, nor
can I find any corresponding log file to help me out.  An example is:
   ERROR: Task 0 (virtual:native:/home/local/poky-amltd/meta/recipes-devtools/pseudo/pseudo_1.0.bb, do_unpack) failed with exit code '1'

Am I missing something?  Now that the build with BB_NO_NETWORK is working well,
this is my last hurdle to making Poky truly useful for my customers.

Thanks