[poky] Minimal images: kernel config

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 18 09:52:59 PST 2011

I've been getting more and more questions regarding flash footprint,
memory footprint, and boot time. All of these fall under the "minimal
image" heading in my head.

Currently, poky-image-minimal is a simple subset of poky-image-sato. It
uses busybox, but is still dynamically linked and uses the same
somewhat-generic kernel build. By somewhat-generic I mean we have named
features that often cover more drivers than are stricly necessary for a
given board (usb-net comes to mind). I'd like to see minimal become a
truly minimal image from both the userspace and kernel side point of view.

Here's my take on this. From userspace this means uclibc and a staticly
linked busybox. From the kernel this means a static build (no modules)
with nothing more than is required for the board's built-in peripherals
to function, with the possible exception of something like usb-storage.
I'd like to see a < 10M flash size and a <8M memory footprint.

Thoughts on this direction?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center