[poky] Useless syslogd

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Feb 11 14:27:28 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi at intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 12:47 -0800, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> ... at least out of the box.
>>
>> It seems that syslog is configured to store its messages in
>> a buffer (memory only?) by default:
>>
>> $ cat meta/recipes-core/busybox/files/syslog.conf
>> DESTINATION="buffer"            # log destinations (buffer file remote)
>>
>> This doesn't seem very useful to me.  I know I can override this
>> in my platform recipes, but I was just wondering what's the
>> rationale?  Would it not make more sense to chose DESTINATION="file"?
>> Otherwise, where do the messages go?  How can I see them?
>>

> I think 'logread' is hooked up to read from the buffer, but it seems to
> be broken at the moment...

logread is indeed the way to access the circular buffer, though it
does seem like operating against a file would be more consistent -- I
think the original logic was that most of the targeted devices didn't
have a writable area to put the logs, other than flash, if that, but
using tmpfs seems just as good a solution and the logs can be read in
a more traditional fashion..
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com