[poky] Useless syslogd

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Feb 11 12:47:29 PST 2011

... at least out of the box.

It seems that syslog is configured to store its messages in
a buffer (memory only?) by default:

$ cat meta/recipes-core/busybox/files/syslog.conf
DESTINATION="buffer"            # log destinations (buffer file remote)

This doesn't seem very useful to me.  I know I can override this
in my platform recipes, but I was just wondering what's the
rationale?  Would it not make more sense to chose DESTINATION="file"?
Otherwise, where do the messages go?  How can I see them?