[poky] lttng-ust failure on QemuPPC

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:18:31 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Bruce, Darren:
>>
>> Can you take a look at the failure in the qemuppc build against
>> the lttng-ust.
>>
>> Looks like the definitions for CLOCK_TRACE and CLOCK_TRACE_FREQ are not
>> available for ppc?  Is this a package that should not be built for PPC?
>
> Hmmm, not much information here, is this logged somewhere that
> covers basic triage ?
>
> Has the package changed ? Was this building before and regressed ?
>
> lttng ust is supposed to work for powerpc, but from a look at the source,
> include/ust/clock.h looks wrong for powerpc, since the definitions you
> mention are x86 only, but then used in an unprotected function.
>
> commit 9c6bb08180ab0a65bbf3d47247a9d36e257fa44a in the lttng ust
> tree looks to have made the change on January 12th. Which leads me
> back to my 'was this building before' question .. I assume it was, which
> then leads me to 'did this change' .. I see we did bump the revision
> in commit e8f2bfcfdaee3cd5cbdb4cf10d48c91bfa741f00 9 days ago.
>
> commit 9c6bb08180ab0a65bbf3d47247a9d36e257fa44a in the lttng ust
> tree mentions:
>
>    At runtime, UST checks if the LTTng clock source is available
>    If not, CLOCK_MONOTONIC is the default fallback.
>
>    This makes UST use the LTTng kernel clock source. With this
>    clock support, LTTng and UST traces are perfectly synchronize.
>    Traces from these two tracer can be merged for analysis.
>
>    LTTng 0.240 or higher is needed for this new clock source.
>
> That looks like a version mismatch. It definitely is for the 2.6.34 kernel,
> and until my latest pull request is merged for the 2.6.37 kernel, its a
> mismatch there as well.
>
> A quick check with an updated 2.6.37 kernel shows that the error is
> there regardless. So this just looks like a straight up issue with
> the updated lttng ust.

For what it is worth, I slapped together a compile tested only patch
for lttng ust 0.11.

It definitely was the update of ust that caused this problem, and this
fixes things (somewhat). Worth double checking the upstream repo
for a better/more complete fix, I didn't have time to do another cjeck
at the moment.

Cheers,

Bruce