[poky] eglibc configurability

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Feb 7 08:19:14 PST 2011

On 02/07/2011 09:06 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 07:44 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I often run small (slow) embedded systems with only a ramdisk
>> based file system.  When I use Poky for this, one side effect
>> is that some packages need to be "configured" on bootup, which
>> in the case of a ramdisk based operation means every time.
>>
>> I notice that the eglibc package brings in a couple of these
>> which are problematic (mostly in how long they take to run)
>> Looking at meta/conf/distro/include/poky-eglibc.inc:
>>
>> LIBC_DEPENDENCIES = "libsegfault \
>>                        eglibc \
>>                        eglibc-dbg \
>>                        eglibc-dev \
>>                        eglibc-utils \
>>                        eglibc-thread-db \
>>                        eglibc-localedata-i18n \
>>                        eglibc-gconv-ibm850 \
>>                        eglibc-gconv-cp1252 \
>>                        eglibc-gconv-iso8859-1 \
>>                        eglibc-gconv-iso8859-15 \
>>                        locale-base-en-us \
>>                        locale-base-en-gb "
>>
>> On my OMAP-L138 target, configuring locale-base-* takes
>> a long time, upwards of 35 seconds each.
>>
>> Are multiple locale-base packages really necessary?
>> How could I best (in the Poky spirit) limit this?  In the
>> minimum, I'd like to only have one locale, saving at least
>> 35 seconds of boot time.
>>
>> Ideas?  Comments?
>
> Shouldn't the cross locale generation be generating the locales at build
> time meaning the locales shouldn't be generated on the device?

I'm not sure the details, I just know that it prints these
messages on boot:
   Configuring dbus-1.
    Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/dbus-1.
   Configuring locale-base-en-gb.
   Configuring locale-base-en-us.

The last two are my concern since they take 35 seconds each to run.
It's a deeply embedded system and does not need multi-locale support
at any level.

In any case, my comment was that there doesn't seem to be any way
to control/configure this at initial build time.  Per the previous
reply, I don't see how LIMIT_BUILT_LOCALES affects this at all.