[poky] eglibc configurability

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Feb 7 06:44:05 PST 2011

I often run small (slow) embedded systems with only a ramdisk
based file system.  When I use Poky for this, one side effect
is that some packages need to be "configured" on bootup, which
in the case of a ramdisk based operation means every time.

I notice that the eglibc package brings in a couple of these
which are problematic (mostly in how long they take to run)
Looking at meta/conf/distro/include/poky-eglibc.inc:

LIBC_DEPENDENCIES = "libsegfault \
                      eglibc \
                      eglibc-dbg \
                      eglibc-dev \
                      eglibc-utils \
                      eglibc-thread-db \
                      eglibc-localedata-i18n \
                      eglibc-gconv-ibm850 \
                      eglibc-gconv-cp1252 \
                      eglibc-gconv-iso8859-1 \
                      eglibc-gconv-iso8859-15 \
                      locale-base-en-us \
                      locale-base-en-gb "

On my OMAP-L138 target, configuring locale-base-* takes
a long time, upwards of 35 seconds each.

Are multiple locale-base packages really necessary?
How could I best (in the Poky spirit) limit this?  In the
minimum, I'd like to only have one locale, saving at least
35 seconds of boot time.

Ideas?  Comments?

Thanks