[poky] question re gcc-runtime vs libgcc

Angus Lees guslees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 02:51:02 PST 2010

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I'm trying to put together some
sdk packages and I can't see how gcc-runtime is supposed to build.

I'd like to have a static libgcc.a to isolate the sdk from whatever
libgcc.so the platform ships.  I've modified the gcc-cross{,sdk}
recipes appropriately and this part all seems to build as expected.
gcc-runtime however fails to build because libgcc doesn't get pulled
from its gcc-build-internal-* hiding place until do_install() - way
too late to be available during the build of the actual gcc-runtime
libraries.  I don't see how the situation would be any different with
a shared libgcc.so.

Can someone walk me through how this part of gcc-runtime is meant to work?

Also: I think in my case, I actually want to ship libgcc.a in
gcc-cross{,sdk} itself since it needs to correspond with the compiler
used (rather than the target sysroot as such) - but I admit I'm a bit
lost in a maze of twisty cross targets, all almost alike.  Does this
seem a reasonable thing to do?
(This made sense to me in openembedded-land, but I haven't quite got
my head around the gcc-runtime and gcc-crosssdk subtleties yet)

--
 - Gus