[poky] Write-protect $DL_DIR

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Dec 21 14:34:16 PST 2010

On 12/21/2010 02:27 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 11:56 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

>>> Hi Gary,
>>>
>>> Being able to do this is an important priority. Please file a bug to
>> track it if there isn't a current workaround.
>>
>> Done, bug #606.
>
> Sorry but this isn't what is being asked and I don't think that bug is
> reasonable. DL_DIR needs to be writeable. You can implement a readonly
> mirror just fine without requiring that so we have what I think is a
> very reasonable way to solve the problem.

>> I'll also look at Richard's new support for MIRRORS/PREMIRRORS
>> to see how to make it work for my environment.
>
> Please do this and report back on how you get one. I'm fine with
> documenting this and making things clearer. Turning DL_DIR into some new
> mirror and having a new writable area for state information isn't the
> right way to solve this problem though when we have mirror handling for
> exactly this kind of use case already.

I understand that these are really [now] two separate things.
I had been trying to use $DL_DIR as a pure mirror, but your change
of today will make that no longer necessary.

I went ahead and filed the bug about a read-only $DL_DIR because
it causes the build to hang/build silently which could cause confusion.
The build should either fail at fetch time with a message or be
sanity checked.

I've tried your changes and they solve my problem well, thanks.