[poky] Recipe Updating Status and call to action

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Thu Dec 16 13:56:31 PST 2010

On 12/15/2010 06:40 PM, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> On the other hand, along with this I realize that there's one area we need further
> discuss. How often should we upgrade packages in a given release cycle? MeeGo
> only does once. For Yocto we want to keep our recipes in cutting-edge which is
> why we schedule two upgrade windows in M2 and M3 this time.

I'd like to question this. Is the goal for Poky/Yocto to track the
bleeding-edge releases of software, or is the goal to be a well-tested
and stable foundation for embedded software applications?

Upgrading a recipe within a couple of weeks of its release may end up
using more of our resources if/when we encounter new bugs that were
introduced in the new release. Or worse, if we don't encounter them
during distro builds and then our users take our release and discover
them for themselves.

I'm not saying we need to be as conservative as long-term-support
enterprise Linux distros, but IMHO I think racing to always upgrade our
recipes to versions released a handful of weeks ago can be
counterproductive in many situations.

A policy I might put forward for consideration is this: recipe upgrades
are done once per release cycle, and upstream versions that have come
out within the last 30 days should not be upgraded unless we have a
really good reason for doing so.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Distro Engineer - Yocto Project