[poky] Extending recipes

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Dec 15 09:33:23 PST 2010

I have a number of recipes that are in the Poky core that
need a little extending for my environment.  Mostly, this
can be done with a .bbappend file, but some are a bit trickier.

For example, in meta/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gst-plugins-ugly_0.10.16.bb
there are a couple of lines which control how this package is
configured and built.  In particular:
   DEPENDS += "gst-plugins-base libid3tag libmad mpeg2dec liba52 lame"
   EXTRA_OECONF += "--with-plugins=a52dec,lame,id3tag,mad,mpeg2dec,mpegstream,mpegaudioparse,asfdemux,realmedia"
In my case, I want to have the h264 encoder/decoder built as well.
I don't see a [good?] way to change these lines to be effectively:
   DEPENDS += "gst-plugins-base libid3tag libmad mpeg2dec liba52 lame x264"
   EXTRA_OECONF += "--with-plugins=a52dec,lame,id3tag,mad,mpeg2dec,mpegstream,mpegaudioparse,asfdemux,realmedia,x264"

The DEPENDS variable is easy enough to extend in .bbappend,
but how should I handle EXTRA_OECONF?

Thanks for any ideas