[poky] question about task override

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 15 04:49:30 PST 2010

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 11:24:02 Tian, Kevin wrote:
.. top part snipped...
> (meta/conf/distro/poky.conf)
> do_deploy[vardepsexclude] = "DATE TIME"
> kernel_do_deploy[vardepsexclude] = "DATE TIME"
>
> There's one example in poky.conf:
>
> patch_do_patch[vardepsexclude] = "DATE SRCDATE"
>
> which works. Does that mean I have to change do_deploy in kernel.bbclass to
> kernel_do_deploy which is unique in global namespace and then can be referenced
> from other places?

I haven't looked closely into the rest of your post, but I can say that the reason your example above won't work is that vardepsexclude will currently only exclude direct dependencies, and DATE and TIME aren't directly referred to by do_deploy - it's via DATETIME and KERNEL_IMAGE_BASE_NAME. I've attached a graphviz dot diagram for linux-yocto do_deploy which was produced from debug output, if it helps make it clearer (viewable with "dot linux_yocto_do_deploy.dot -Tpng > output.png" ).

When I was testing vardepsexclude I did wonder whether applying it additionally after checking sub-dependencies in order to get around the indirect dependency issue would be a good idea; in the end I elected not to do it for the moment as it is possibly better to be completely explicit. There is the other question as well as to how to deal with dependencies in overridden versions of generic functions, which is what you are alluding to I think.

However, my question is if KERNEL_IMAGE_BASE_NAME includes DATETIME, is it a good idea to be attempting to exclude the dependency?

Cheers,
Paul