[poky] kernel type naming and package version conflicts

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 13:20:54 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> I believe I've identified why my preempt_rt kernel recipes are failing to
> build. The do_package_write_ipk is complaining about invalid characters in
> the file name - specifically:
>
> kernel-2.6.34.7-rt-yocto-preempt_rt
> *** Error: Package name  contains illegal characters, (other than
> [a-z0-9.+-])
>
> Note the "_" in preempt_rt.
>
> This name appears to be generated in part from the following assignment:
>
> LINUX_KERNEL_TYPE = "preempt_rt"
> LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION ?= "-yocto-${LINUX_KERNEL_TYPE}"
>
> Changing this to the following allows the build to succeed without error
> (replacing _ with -).
> LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION ?= "-yocto-preempt-rt"
>
> As I see it we have two options, we can rewrite linux-yocto kernel branches
> for use in bitbake package names (replacing _ with -), or we can forbid the
> use of _ in the linux-yocto git branches. Rather than clutter up the recipes
> with string manipulators, I would prefer the latter option.

Ah yes. The _ in preempt_rt pre-dates bitbake, but I'm not particularly
attached to it.

As for forbidding, I'll have to add sanity checks, since the branch names
are board customizable, and I know of plenty that will use _'s.

> Bruce, Tom, do you have an opinion?

I'll fix preempt_rt to be preempt-rt, and add sanity checks, but won't
go for full replacement.

How does that sound ?

Bruce

> --