[poky] kernel type selection

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Tue Dec 14 12:59:36 PST 2010

In developing new kernel recipes, I've run across some difficulty in
determining the ideal way to select one kernel recipe over another. The
machine configs specify the preferred provider. For the Linaro layer, I
setup new machine configs which specified the linux-linaro as the
preferred kernel.

As I'm working with preempt_rt, I'm running into this again. I could
create more machine configs, but this approach won't scale well (having
to create a copy of all the supported machine configs just to change the
preferred kernel). I could set LINUX_KERNEL_TYPE="preempt_rt" in my
local.conf, but that would reuse all the settings in the existing
recipes (like COMPATIBLE_MACHINES), all of which don't necessary apply
to the new kernel type.

I've considered looking for a way to specify the kernel type in the new
image definitions (ie poky-image-rt) and creating new recipes for each
kernel type. I like the idea of one recipe per kernel type as this makes
things more explicit and avoids contamination between the various kernel
types. This approach however seems to be at odds with the Poky way of
doing this which, as I understand it, would be to specify the provider
in the machine config and any modifiers (like type) in the local.conf.

Can we get a discussion started here to determine some best practices?

Thanks,

--
Darren Hart
Yocto Linux Kernel