[poky] bsp-guide review and a couple quick fixes

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Sat Dec 11 09:19:22 PST 2010

I read through the bsp-guide as it stands in the poky.git master. I know
Scott R. is working on this, so hopefully the following feedback will be
of some value to his efforts.

In addition to the following, I have a couple patches available in my
contrib branch. Scott, you can cherry-pick these, or just recreate them
as part of you work if that proves easier:

    Pull URL: git://git.pokylinux.org/poky-contrib.git
      Branch: dvhart/docs-bsp
      Browse: http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=dvhart/docs-bsp

    Darren Hart (2):
      bsp-guide: fix two minor typographical and grammatical errors
      bsp-guide: correct BBPATH example

     documentation/bsp-guide/bsp.xml |    6 +++---

The document is described as being generic, but it gets progressively
more Poky specific through each subsequent section. I'm not sure I
understand the value of trying to make the document generically describe
a BSP, especially when bitbake specific variables and reference to
existing poky recipes are required to make it complete.

The following are some brief thoughts and corrections organized by section.

1.3
BBFILE_COLLECTIONS += "bsp"
Make it clear that "bsp" should be replaced with the board name. Perhaps
using a trailing comment?

There needs to be a description of what each variable is for. How is
BBFILE_PRIORITY used? Is 1 the highest priority? What is a good default?

1.4
Poky/OpenEmbedded => Poky and OpenEmbedded

what hardware drivers => which hardware drivers

and also => and

This section needs an example illustrating the points described.

1.6
We want to encourage developers and users to use the linux-yocto kernel. Our
BSP documentation should reflect this - especially if it has the yocto
logo on it.

packages => recipes-kernel (right?)

various grammatical errors - irrelevant if we re-write. One instance of what
that should be which for example.

1.9
How is prebuild different than sstate-cache?

1.10
the simplest the most preferred option => the simplest and the most
preferred option

Thanks,

--
Darren Hart