[poky] Adding extra metadata to Yocto/Poky

Richard Purdie rpurdie at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 8 04:49:08 PST 2010

Hi,

We're in a position where we have people wanting to extend Poky but
wondering exactly how to add their own layer and make Poky useful for
their specific use cases.

This is a topic I want to work with the OE community on and have
discussion about but equally, people are interested at the moment and we
need something people can experiment with now so we can see what works
and what doesn't.

With this in mind I'm proposing we create a "poky-extras" repository
which contains multiple user contributed layers.

My proposed ground rules are:

* it has the OE style open contributions model
* consists of a set of layers, each clearly identified at the top level
* each layer has a clearly named maintainer or maintainers
* people respect the layer maintainers
* layers are split into logical "topics" where at all possible

Ultimately, the repo structure and some of the details could change but
I'd like to experiment and see what we can come up with which is
probably the only way we're going to move forward.

Any comments, objections or better ideas? :)

Cheers,

Richard