[poky] Master Stability

Tian, Kevin kevin.tian at intel.com
Tue Dec 7 18:59:06 PST 2010

In our 0.9 cycle, I think the rule was to have people develop in an incremental
way (cover all archs), and then do a full build on one target arch completely different
from the build arch before the pull request.

Above should expose most problems without posing too much test burdens on
developers given the long cycle of a nightly test.

Of course this still leaves some potential issues such as parallel make issues, or
occasional bugs exposed in full build on a non-verified arch.

The reality is that current build cycle is too long. I'd suggest to pull back the concept
of distro/stage, and then only push our bash requests to master after verifying it in
distro/stage. This gives us an intermediate filter on master quality.

Once sstate is in good shape, we can then ask people do full build on all archs
before sending pull requests to further ensure the quality.

Thanks
Kevin