[poky] Proper recipe naming and PV definition

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Dec 6 20:02:45 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> You have SRCPV here - I believe you intended SRCREV - correct?
>
> If so, then your PV looks the same as mine above. The place where I replaced
> the _git was in the filename of the recipe. It still isn't clear to me what
> the _VERSION part of recipe-name_VERSION.bb is meant to indicate or how
> exactly it is used. It clearly isn't the exact and complete version of the
> source, that is what PE.PV is for, and PR identifies the recipe version (for
> lack of a better description).

People seem to be making this a bit more complex than it is.  The
second component of the filename, separated by _, is simply the
*default* value of PV, just as the first component is the default
value of PN, and the third component is the default value of PR.
Naturally the 2nd and 3rd are optional, and of course you can always
override them in the recipe, it's just the default.

You can see the definitions of the PN, PV, and PR variables in
bitbake.conf -- they run a function which just splits the filename.
If those defaults were not set there, then PN, PV, and PR would always
have to be explicitly set.  It's just a convenience, that's all.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com