[poky] Proper recipe naming and PV definition

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Mon Dec 6 15:24:09 PST 2010

Op 7 dec 2010, om 00:17 heeft Darren Hart het volgende geschreven:

> I'm having trouble determining what the best practice is for naming a linux kernel recipe.
>
> The meta-linaro layer contains a linux-linaro recipe, and eventually I'd like it to contain two. One for the stable kernel and one for the development kernel. These are currently 2.6.35 and 2.6.37 respectively. I currently have:
>
> linux-linaro-2.6.35_git.bb
> PV=2.6.35
>
> This results in directory names in the build tree like:
> linux-linaro-2.6.36_2.6.35 (or similar, with the version duplicated). As I understand it, the PV _must_ contain a standard Linux kernel version along the lines of 2.6.[0-9]+-* (and parsing fails without it).
>
> In order to both track the version and distinguish between stable and dev, would something like the following be appropriate? This also replaces _git with _KERNELVER (as proposed by Marcin).
>
> linux-linaro-stable_2.6.35.bb
> PV=2.6.35+git${SRCREV}
>
> linux-linaro-dev_2.6.37.bb
> PV=2.6.37+git${SRCREV}

using that will break upgrade paths since git revisions aren't monotonically increasing. I use something like this:

PV = "2.6.36+2.6.37-rc4"
PR = "r3"
PR_append = "+gitr${SRCREV}"
SRCREV = "a04fd22204b13ce34a3f8a8157f83c44d64f8da9"

And increase PR manually everytime SRCREV changes.

regards,

Koen