[poky] Proper recipe naming and PV definition

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 6 15:17:14 PST 2010

I'm having trouble determining what the best practice is for naming a
linux kernel recipe.

The meta-linaro layer contains a linux-linaro recipe, and eventually I'd
like it to contain two. One for the stable kernel and one for the
development kernel. These are currently 2.6.35 and 2.6.37 respectively.
I currently have:

linux-linaro-2.6.35_git.bb
PV=2.6.35

This results in directory names in the build tree like:
linux-linaro-2.6.36_2.6.35 (or similar, with the version duplicated). As
I understand it, the PV _must_ contain a standard Linux kernel version
along the lines of 2.6.[0-9]+-* (and parsing fails without it).

In order to both track the version and distinguish between stable and
dev, would something like the following be appropriate? This also
replaces _git with _KERNELVER (as proposed by Marcin).

linux-linaro-stable_2.6.35.bb
PV=2.6.35+git${SRCREV}

linux-linaro-dev_2.6.37.bb
PV=2.6.37+git${SRCREV}