[meta-xilinx] Steps to build BOOT.BIN for ZynqMP

Adrian Willenbücher willenbuecher at hw-sw-design.de
Tue Apr 16 00:49:50 PDT 2019

Hi,

we've been using PetaLinux 2018.2 for a custom ZynqMP design. Now we want to
move away from PetaLinux to a solution based on meta-xilinx and
meta-xilinx-tools to gain more flexibility and control over the build process.

However, I can't figure out how to even build the BOOT.BIN file.
I have a .hdf (including a bitstream) and the following entries in my local.conf:

HDF_BASE = "file://"
HDF_PATH = "/path/to/HDF.hdf"
XILINX_VER_MAIN = "2018.2"
XILINX_SDK_TOOLCHAIN = "/path/to/SDK/2018.2"
# plus the usual non-Xilinx specific definitions like DL_DIR etc.

Now what's next?
I suppose I need to define

     MACHINE = "my-custom-machine"

and create a conf/machine/my-custom-machine.conf, similar to, e.g.,
zcu104-zynqmp.conf. But zcu104-zynqmp.conf defines

     UBOOT_MACHINE = "<board-specific>_defconfig"

which I don't know how to create, and

     KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "...dtb"

which should be automatically extracted from the .hdf file.
Is there a recipe which builds the BOOT.BIN from my .hdf without further inputs?
After all, with PetaLinux I can create a BOOT.BIN from a .hdf without creating a
U-Boot *_defconfig, so it should be possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for a solution on the
Xilinx Wiki and on this mailing list for days without success.

Best regards,
Adrian