[meta-xilinx] Xilinx SDK Query for ZC702 and Zedboard

Nathan Rossi nathan at nathanrossi.com
Wed Jul 29 08:01:33 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Krishnakar, Srikanth
<Srikanth_Krishnakar at mentor.com> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply ! Please find my inline reply below:

So Xilinx does their quarterly releases, and the Xilinx kernel follows
the same release process. Which is why you will see tags in the kernel
(linux-xlnx) and u-boot (u-boot-xlnx), etc repos for each of the
quarterly release versions.

>> How actively the meta-xilinx is synced up with petalinux releases ? Should I go with petalinux SDK's for my boards or should I follow the meta-xilinx branches from Yocto repository ?
>
> As mentioned above the meta-xilinx layer has nothing to do with PetaLinux. However the plan is to continue to track the Xilinx kernel with recipes for updated releases of the Xilinx kernel.
>
> PetaLinux is a separate product/toolkit that has little to nothing to do with the Yocto/OE tool flow. So the question you should really be answering is do you want to use Yocto/OE or PetaLinux?
>
> Understood. I would really want to follow "Yocto/OE".
>

>> Will there be any linux-xlnx-4.0 release this year ?
>
> I don't see any reason why there wont be a 4.0 or newer release of linux-xlnx this year (either for the 2015.3 or 2015.4 release cycles), but I don't speak for Xilinx so you would need to confirm that is the case. But if you want to use a 4.0 linux-xlnx kernel right now, the master ref of the linux-xlnx repo is currently based on top of the 4.0 release. With the "linux-xlnx-dev" recipe in meta-xilinx you can use that kernel right now.
>
> Sounds reasonable. Does 2015.2 (linux-3.19) supports Zedboard or just ZC702 only ?

Generally speaking linux kernel (whether that is the linux-xlnx,
linux-yocto or a mainline kernel) will support any board that uses the
Zynq SoC (you will need a device-tree for the board though). However
depending on drivers required/etc some features will not function.

But specifically yes the 2015.2/linux-xlnx_3.19 kernel supports both
the ZedBoard and ZC702. There is also machine configurations in the
meta-xilinx layer for those boards as well as the zc706, picozed,
microzed and zybo boards.

Regards,
Nathan