[meta-xilinx] ZC706 - Device tree blobs

Stephen Mossom stephen.mossom at calnexsol.com
Fri Sep 19 05:41:53 PDT 2014

Hi All

I am building a Linux system for the ZC706 using the meta-xilinx layer daisy branch.

I can boot my board using the resulting kernel , rootfs and dtb but I get some errors during the boot process.

For example:-

hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory

dma-pl330: probe of f8003000.ps7-dma failed with error -16

I downloaded the Xilinx release images for the ZC706 2014.2 and booted them as a comparison. I don't see the same errors. The rtc initialises OK as does the pl330 driver.

I compared the log from the good boot (Xilinx release images) to the boot with errors (meta-xilinx build) and noticed that the i2c doesn't seem to be initialising properly on the meta-xilinx build which explains why the real time clock isn't initialised.

I downloaded petalinux which is used to generate the release images and compared the kernel config with the one in the meta-xilinx layer and there were not any significant differences.

Suspecting the device tree I tried booting the meta-xilinx generated kernel using the dtb from the Xilinx release images rather than the one built using yocto. The i2c initialised correctly in this instance and the pl330 dma driver does not report any errors.

I tried building the device tree blob using  the arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-zc706.dts from the linux-xlnx github. When I boot the kernel using this dtb the i2c also initialises correctly.

This suggests that errors are caused by dts files in the meta-xilinx layer under conf/machine/boards which built by default by the meta-xilinx layer.  Are there some changes which I need to apply to these files to get the zc706 kernel to initialise ok or should the meta-xilinx layer be using the device tree from the linux-xlnx kernel tree?

Thanks

Stephen