[meta-virtualization] Does the meta-virtualization layer support building kvm on aarch64 archiecture?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed May 15 07:22:33 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 6:24 AM Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:

> On 5/15/19 12:21 PM, Peter Smith wrote:
> > I have been experimenting with using kvm on aarch64 based SoC's and after
> > studying the contents of the meta-virtualization layer I came to the
> conclusion
> > (maybe wrongly) that the layer does not provide full support for
> building a kvm
> > kernel on aarch64.
>
> I know people have done this in the past.  So unless Bruce or someone says
> it's
> specifically not designed to do that.  I would expect it should work, and
> if it
> doesn't...

That's correct. The layer is designed to support aarch64 virtualization
(and definitely containers), but chances are that a lot of that aarch64
virtualization is currently using Xen. So depending on what you are
building, it may be a less tested path.

> > For example the enabling kernel configurations appear to currently be
> incorrect.
>
> ...this sounds like a bug.  So if you have ideas how to resolve it, then
> please
> bring them up to the list.  (Even better if you have a patch.)

Agreed. I only just got a platform that should be capable of running 64 bit
ARM virtualization, so bug reports and patches would be great.

> > I would appreciate it if someone with greater knowledge than me could
> put me
> > straight.
>
> meta-virtualization is intended to be a general purpose virtualization
> enabling
> layer.  It is used pretty heavily on IA machines, just because a lot of
> virtualization is being done on that architecture.  But as long as the
> architecture itself supports the virtualization aspects, I'm not aware of
> any
> reason that fixes for those architectures wouldn't be allowed.

Confirmed. They are allowed, and may just need some tweaking. IF something
isn't allowed, we've masked the recipe and you'll get a clear error message
about the lack of support.

Bruce

> --Mark
>

> > Thanks in advance.
> > Peter

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II