[meta-virtualization] Does the meta-virtualization layer support building kvm on aarch64 archiecture?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed May 15 03:23:33 PDT 2019

On 5/15/19 12:21 PM, Peter Smith wrote:
> I have been experimenting with using kvm on aarch64 based SoC's and after
> studying the contents of the meta-virtualization layer I came to the conclusion
> (maybe wrongly) that the layer does not provide full support for building a kvm
> kernel on aarch64.

I know people have done this in the past.  So unless Bruce or someone says it's
specifically not designed to do that.  I would expect it should work, and if it
doesn't...

> For example the enabling kernel configurations appear to currently be incorrect.

...this sounds like a bug.  So if you have ideas how to resolve it, then please
bring them up to the list.  (Even better if you have a patch.)

> I would appreciate it if someone with greater knowledge than me could put me
> straight.

meta-virtualization is intended to be a general purpose virtualization enabling
layer.  It is used pretty heavily on IA machines, just because a lot of
virtualization is being done on that architecture.  But as long as the
architecture itself supports the virtualization aspects, I'm not aware of any
reason that fixes for those architectures wouldn't be allowed.

--Mark