[meta-virtualization] Dev86-native dependency

Christopher Clark christopher.w.clark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 13:51:26 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM M. Asselstine <asselsm at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya at arm.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.
> >
> > DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"
> >
> > Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.
>
> I am not sure I am following you correctly. But I believe what you are
> looking for is to drop "dev86-native" from DEPENDS, where it is
> currently listed, and instead list it in something like
>
> DEPENDS_x86 = "dev86-native"
>
> in the xen.inc file. ie. make use of the overrides mechanism to only
> require it for x86 arch. Am I close?

Suggest: replace the string 'dev86-native' within xen.inc's DEPENDS
definition with:

${@bb.utils.contains('XEN_TARGET_ARCH', 'x86_64', 'dev86-native', '', d)}

which will toggle the requirement for the dev86-native tools based on
the target arch the hypervisor is being built for.
If that looks OK, I can send a patch on top of the 4.12 version uprev
that I just posted.

Christopher