[meta-virtualization] Issues with 50cdecc sysvinit-inittab_xen.inc: fix hypervisor console

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 20:12:40 PDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 4:11 PM Filipe Rinaldi <Filipe.Rinaldi at arm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> With regards commit "50cdecc sysvinit-inittab_xen.inc: fix hypervisor console"...
>

> We are having issues with this patch. When using start_getty (a wrapper to getty) it will first check if the console device is a "serial" device driver [1]. It then fails because hvc0 is a "system" device, not a "serial" [2].
>

> [1] https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/blob/master/meta/recipes-core/sysvinit/sysvinit-inittab/start_getty#L11
>
> [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/tty/hvc/hvc_console.c#n1036
>

> Any thoughts?

Can you confirm that if that check is removed that the console still
functions as expected ?

Rather than bouncing back and forth between fixing one issue, and
creating another, I'm tempted to just bbappend and patch the
problematic check out of the startup. But I'm not currently setup to
test the issue.

Bruce

> Cheers,
>
> Filipe
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II