[meta-virtualization] OpenEmbedded Image Format

Stefan Agner stefan at agner.ch
Mon Sep 10 18:01:38 PDT 2018

On 10.09.2018 17:34, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 2018-09-10 7:21 PM, Stefan Agner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a OpenEmbedded image type which allows to build images which
>> are OCI Image Format compliant? meta-virtualization includes the
>> oci-image-tools, hence the recipe for tooling is there. There is
>> currently no -native support for oci-image-tool and its dependencies,
>> but I guess that shouldn't be too far away. Any thoughts?
>
> This is something that we typically do with umoci, not with the
> raw tools.
>
> re-inventing what better tools already do in a bbclass using
> the raw oci-image-tools is an not an exercise worth doing.
>
> Not to mention, nearly every use case I currently have for
> working with container images, involves registries, and adding
> something as clunky as a build system to generate the images
> just doesn't make sense.
>
> How were you planning on running/using the OCI bundles ?

I am not very familiar with OCI and its tools yet, so quite possible I
am on the wrong track here.

What we are looking for is a way to build an image using OE, generate a
container from it and push it to a registry. The last operation is
probably a separate/manual step, but ideally OE should build the tools
for it.

A second use case is where we build the container runtime image, but
also the container image using OE. In this case the container image
should get installed at OE build time onto the container runtime rootfs.

Since OpenEmbedded is the tooling to build the container runtime image
as well as the container itself, all those steps preferably should be
handled in OE as well.

It seems to me that umoci is the tool we are looking for. Is this
available as -native?

--
Stefan