[meta-virtualization] OpenEmbedded Image Format

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Sep 10 17:34:12 PDT 2018

On 2018-09-10 7:21 PM, Stefan Agner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a OpenEmbedded image type which allows to build images which
> are OCI Image Format compliant? meta-virtualization includes the
> oci-image-tools, hence the recipe for tooling is there. There is
> currently no -native support for oci-image-tool and its dependencies,
> but I guess that shouldn't be too far away. Any thoughts?

This is something that we typically do with umoci, not with the
raw tools.

re-inventing what better tools already do in a bbclass using
the raw oci-image-tools is an not an exercise worth doing.

Not to mention, nearly every use case I currently have for
working with container images, involves registries, and adding
something as clunky as a build system to generate the images
just doesn't make sense.

How were you planning on running/using the OCI bundles ?

I've been doing similar things for quite some time in meta-cube
i.e. http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/87474/

But that all happens outside of the build system.

I could move more of the tools over to meta-virt, if there's
interest.

Cheers,

Bruce