[meta-virtualization] [RFC] xen: Enable compilation with external source

Christopher Clark christopher.w.clark at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 11:42:35 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Alistair Francis <alistair23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Christopher Clark
> <christopher.w.clark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Bruce Ashfield
>> <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> When you say 'external source' are you talking about
>>> the oe-core "externalsrc" concept, or some Xen specific thing ?
>
> I'm talking about the OE external source, it's not a Xen specific thing.
>
>> There's a comment at the top of the externalsrc.bbclass file
>> that indicates that a second variable (EXTERNALSRC_BUILD_pn-myrecipe)
>> could be used to set the build directory to be the same as the source
>> directory -- does using that give the behaviour that you're looking
>> for, without needing this cp added to do_compile?
>
> Ah, that is what I needed. That at least allows me to build Xen, but I
> see all these weird QA issues now.
>
> WARNING: xen-4.9.0-r0 do_package: QA Issue: xen: Files/directories
> were installed but not shipped in any package:
>   /usr/lib/libxentoolcore.so.1.0
>   /usr/lib/libxentoolcore.so
>   /usr/lib/libxentoolcore.so.1
>   /usr/sbin/xen-diag
>   /usr/share/pkgconfig/xentoolcore.pc
> Please set FILES such that these items are packaged. Alternatively if
> they are unneeded, avoid installing them or delete them within
> do_install.

OK, these errors are just because the Xen tree that you're building
with is a Xen 4.10 RC, whereas the current meta-virtualization recipe
is written for Xen 4.9 and earlier.

Xen 4.10 introduces a new library: xentoolcore, which needs to be
packaged, so xen.inc needs some added statements. If you look at the
sections in xen.inc that handle "xentoollog", that looks similar to
what will be needed for xentoolcore. In addition to that, "xen-diag"
probably needs one line to add it to the -misc package, the same way
that "xenlockprof" is packaged in there.

Christopher