[meta-virtualization] How to asign especific HW to each OS working with Xen over MPSoC

Christopher Clark christopher.w.clark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 18:07:24 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Pello Heriz <
pello.heriz at alumni.mondragon.edu> wrote:

>   I'm very interested in knowing how to asign especific HW to each one of
the running OS-s if I'm working with Xen hypervisor. Is it possible? Where
do I need to specify this?

It is possible. The method of doing it depends on which type of HW you need
to assign.

Some options are configured on the Xen or dom0 kernel command lines in your
bootloader config file (eg. grub.cfg  or syslinux.cfg or ..).

Other options, for other hardware, can be configured in xl.cfg for a VM,
and xl.conf for the host:
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Man_Pages

You may find more help available on the xen-users mailing list:

>   On the other hand, I also would like to know, how would the different
OS-s running under Xen hypervisor communicate between them. I.e.: an
application running over Linux (i.e.: Docker) and FreeRTOS.

The simplest method may be to create virtual network interfaces in each
guest OS, configure networking inside each, and then use that (eg. ssh or
something else over TCP/IP) for communication between them.

If FreeRTOS doesn't have support for networking on Xen, then you may have
to look at using the Grant Tables and Event channels, or xenstore, to
communicate.

>   Finally, it would be interesting for me too, to know how to debug the
behaviour of an OS running under Xen (i.e.: FreeRTOS) in the real MPSoC
board.

There are instructions on this page:
https://github.com/GaloisInc/FreeRTOS-Xen

that indicate how you can enable printk within FreeRTOS to output to the
xen console, which you should be able to access from dom0. That will allow
you to instrument your FreeRTOS kernel code to output the debugging data
that you want.

You can also search the archives of xen-devel for references to FreeRTOS
where Xen developers have provided some feedback on the code in that port.

Good luck,

Christopher

--
http://openxt.org/