[meta-virtualization] LXD anyone?

Massimiliano Malisan max.malisan.uk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:32:04 PDT 2017

Hi,

well, it's a bit complicated: being a newbie of both Yocto and go-lang when
I started all this I wasn't aware of the introduction of go in the
openembedded-core meta master (I am using morty). As I couldn't sort out
quickly how to set up the recipe with the meta-virtualization go compiler I
switched all the meta to use meta-golang (quite an easy task), which seemed
to me much more easy to use and directly produced a building tree structure
similar to the one I got from "go get" of LXD source (which I used as a
reference to understand all the package's dependencies and go building
structure).

Besides this:
* I created a bunch of go recipes for all the dependencies (following the
example of docker's recipe dependencies)
* I added and/or updated few other recipes (some are added+updated from
meta-cube)
* I added/changed some system configuration files
* I added some kernel modules - but without a real knowledge of which are
strictly needed: I just checked those needed by docker (using the checking
script from coreos docker's repo -- https://github.com/coreos/d
ocker/blob/master/contrib/check-config.sh) and created corresponding kernel
scc and cfg files (I also updated the docker's ones but this is a
collateral and I don't know if it's needed).

Now I got a bit more insight on the overall process I may try to update the
recipes to use the new go compiler structure (but for the moment I still
need to keep it working for morty.. and I wouldn't like to keep two
different versions of the recipes).

By the way, now LXD seems to be working on my test image; there are still
few thing I have to do manually after the installation (which should be
automatized within the building process and I haven't been able to, yet)
and few "side" things missing:
* I could not build criu (as per previous message to the list) which is
indicated as a tool to be used together with LXD on the build instructions
* I have not been able to use it with apparmor (I didn't manage to build it
from the meta-security)
* In his blog, LXD main developer suggests to use ZFS as ideal container fs
but it's currently missing from Yocto...

If all this seems reasonable (and if you give me some links where to read
how to upload or send the recipes and patches I did) I will be happy to
contribute..

Cheers,
    Max