[meta-virtualization] - python packages

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:30:04 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Derek Straka <derek at asterius.io> wrote:

> I noticed are a few python recipes that exist in meta-openembedded
> (python-six, python-requests, python-werkzeug, etc) and
> meta-virtualization.  Is there any reason to keep these around or can I
> remove them?  Also, is there any problem with me pulling the
> non-virtualization specific recipes over there and eventually removing them
> from meta-virtualization?

If you check the mailing list archives, we've had this question before ..
but I don't mind
answering it again.

We keep the pinned versions here, since they are actually tested via system
level use
cases, versus categorizing by language (i.e. meta-python, meta-perl, etc).
There are some
version restrictions from those various use cases .. so we can't push them
out to dependent
layers where the update cadence doesn't match.

Also, we can't even pick up python recipe version bumps without getting all
of meta-oe updated
.. which can be a major stability issue. So the meta-oe single repo and the
lack of system level
testing in a language layer (meta-python), means that the python recipes we
carry typically do
stay put.

So the duplicates, and non virtualization python recipes will remain here
for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Bruce

> -Derek

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"