[meta-virtualization] python setuptools recipe

Edward Wingate edwingate8 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:00:43 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 5:46 AM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you solved this yet ? I've never run into this myself, but maybe my
> reply will jog the memory of someone that has.

I haven't solved this when I received your message, but your
suggestions below prompted me to try some things that may have fixed
it, but leaves me with more questions.

> Have you ruled out that the build is using a versiontools from your host
> machine ? And that the versiontools is older than the 1.7 requirement ?
>
> I don't see versiontools already in the layers, so if it is being picked up
> from the host, then you very well could end up with this error.

I don't have versiontools installed on my host.  I went ahead and did
a "pip install versiontools" which installed v1.9.1.  I did a cleanall
on the recipe in question and rebuilt the image.  This appears to have
fixed the error.  But I'm not expert with Yocto and can't be sure it's
not reusing some remaining artifact from the previous successful run
where I just removed the "setup_requires" line.  In fact, to test
this, I uninstalled versiontools and did another cleanall on the
recipe, but the subsequent build is still successful, so I think it is
probably reusing some already built artifact.  What do I need to do to
further wipe things clean for the recipe in question, without wiping
EVERYTHING and starting from scratch?

> I'd start by creating a versiontools 1.9.1 recipe, put it in the DEPENDS for
> your recipe and see if everything is happy after that.

I'm a bit confused what this would do.  Had I done this instead of the
"pip install versiontools" above, would it have installed versiontools
on the image for my target, or would it have installed it on the host
(the equivalent of the pip install), or something else entirely?
Where do I actually need versiontools to be?

But it also doesn't explain why the attempt to download the necessary
version of versiontools fails.  Yocto seems to try to do the right
thing, but it just couldn't download what it needs.  Whereas directly
accessing the URLs in the error message via wget (and a browser)
worked.

Also, removing the setup_requires line fixed it 2 days ago.  Does it
mean it doesn't really need versiontools?  Or that it is getting some
different version of versiontools < 1.7 from somewhere (where?)?

Or perhaps the download of versiontools happened to be successful
today.  Arg, on the one hand, that would be great, but on the other, I
won't really know what fixed it.