[meta-virtualization] meta-cloud-services branch names

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:18:41 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Edward Wingate <edwingate8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why are the branch names for meta-cloud-services (kilo, juno, havana,
> etc.) different than poky and most other meta- layers (daisy, dizzy,
> fido, etc.)?  I'm a new Yocto user and up until now, the meta layers I
> have been using have the same branch names as poky and I have been
> syncing according to branch names.  Is this not necessary with
> meta-cloud-services?  Thanks for your help.

The branches follow the openstack releases, not the Yocto release strategy.
The content in the layers are the most part independent of the particulars
of the Yocto releases, hence are using a different branch naming at the moment.

We also at times test multiple openstack/cloud releases against various Yocto
releases, so the 1:1 branch naming doesn't make sense in that context.

It isn't perfect, since it is true that there are dangling bbappends and other
fixups, but over time with the use of % wildcards in the bbappends, we can
have quite a bit of independence from the actual release.

Bruce

thee at its end"