[meta-virtualization] meta-openstack Python support recipes

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 11 09:41:27 PDT 2014

On Monday 11 August 2014 12:26:54 Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 11 August 2014 12:09:18 Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> >> At this point no. I intend to keep them all in meta-openstack, since the
> >> version and cadence is tightly coupled to the core components, and
> >> spreading them across multiple layers is a recipe for chaos.
> >
> > OK, understood - so I guess that being the case we may end up having some
> > duplication between there and meta-python. Not that I intend to do any
> > wholesale copying, but if we need a dependency or if it makes sense to add
> > a recipe currently in meta-openstack to meta-python for the purposes of
> > making it more widely usable, I don't see much of an option but to have
> > it in both places.
>
> Yep, and that's fine. Just drop an email if you do make a copy, and maybe
> some can move. But generally speaking, openstack breaks in weird and
> wonderful ways when dependencies change, so I can't be at the whim of
> another layer updating and causing continual breakage.

Yep, I definitely get that; python modules especially on the web side of things
do seem to break across versions and I can understand the desire to avoid
that.

> At some point, there is such a thing as "over layerization", I've been down
> that road before :)

True, that could happen. The main goal with meta-python though is to bring in
some additional maintenance and interest around the recipes within it, which
wasn't always easy when those recipes (the ones we're starting with) were in
the meta-oe layer.

Cheers,
Paul

--