[meta-ti] BeagleBone Black: cannot access USB MSC devices

Patkar, Sarvesh S. sarvesh.patkar at thermofisher.com
Thu Aug 30 19:16:09 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am a beginner in Yocto and still learning to configure the images generated.

I am trying to use USB devices with the BeagleBone Black (Rev C) . Specifically, I want to access a Mass Storage Class Device (a USB Flash Drive) from the BeagleBone Black. I used the meta, meta-poky and meta-ti layers to build a core-image-minimal image for beaglebone machine. On booting up with the image, I do not see any obvious errors. However, it cannot detect the presence of a USB Device connected to it. I checked this using fdisk -l. lsusb command is not found.

I went through an old email chain https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/linux-yocto/2014-June/002787.html to find if there was a solution. One of the things mentioned was to use menuconfig to configure the kernel for built-in USB support. But, I am not sure if the .config file is being picked up by bitbake.

How do I enable USB support for MSC devices on BeagleBone Black?

poky branch= sumo-19.0.0
meta-ti branch= ti2018.02

Thanks for the help!
Sarvesh