[meta-ti] [oe] ti81xx-psp-linux-2.6.37: broken kernel with gcc > 4.5

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fri May 18 06:39:41 PDT 2012

Hello Koen,

>>> What happens when you disable the mailbox? AIUI you shouldn't need that on
>>> Ne/Ce.
>>
>> How do I disable the mailbox?
>
> In the .config

Wait wait wait, according to drivers/staging/tidspbridge/Kconfig we
need OMAP_MBOX_FWK (i.e. "the mailbox") in order to use the DSP
bridge. Disabling it would mean cutting off our DSP. No way.

>> What do you mean by Ne/Ce?
>
> Netra/Centaurus, dm81xx, c6a81xx, am38xx, am39xx or whatever TI is calling it nowadays.

We're on a "TI DaVinci DM8148", featuring a cortex-a8 combined with a
C674x DSP. I think the only ones left without DSPs are AM-...
processors. So no, the DSP bridge (and therefore mailboxing) must
stay.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle