[meta-ti] Denys Dmytriyenko : beaglebone: disable THUMB2_KERNEL in defconfig for newer binutils

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu May 3 10:34:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 07:12:05PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 3 mei 2012 om 18:21 heeft Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 08:25:11AM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >>
> >> Op 3 mei 2012, om 08:09 heeft Denys Dmytriyenko het volgende geschreven:

> >> Patch binutils or patch the kernel.
> >
> > Like I said, do you have a solution? Do you have said patches?
> >
> > Since gcc-4.5 and binutils-2.20 are scheduled to be removed from
> > meta-oe/toolchain-layer in a few days, I had to fix it some way. That's the
> > best I could do under this circumstances. I can't have beaglebone broken with
> > any  oher toolchain, to only gain few milliseconds of boot time.
>
> It's in the range of half a second when I last tested it.

If you care to provide binutils-2.20 with it forever, the change can be
reverted.

Again, your decision to drop gcc-4.5 and binutils-2.20 from meta-oe drove me
to push this fix.

> >> Changing the defconfig without even sending the patch for review is NOT the
> >> way to do it.
> >
> > I heard you the first time! No need to repeat it every time.
>
> I'll repeat it some more if you think meta-ti should be TIs playground
> without regard for the beagleboard.org project. Your action put a serious
> dent in my belief in meta-ti.

I can say exactly the same to you - do you think meta-ti should be
beagleboard.org's playground w/o regard for other TI goals to support
different platforms and toolchains?

Anyway, it's a childish reaction and fight - you know very well it wasn't
a conspiracy against you and affecting boot time was incidental. Calm down,
react sane and eveything can be fixed and worked out.

--
Denys